Saturday, July 24, 2010

Baby Bella Cream of Mushroom

I adapted this recipe from "Appetizers Finger Food Buffets & Parties" by Bridget Jones. my version was DELICIOUS and tasted like cream of mushroom soup SHOULD taste!!

Baby Bella Cream of Mushroom Soup

Photobucket

1 T butter/margarine
1 Vidalia Onion-diced
1 garlic clove-minced
2 8 oz pkg of baby bella mushrooms, washed and quartered
1 T flour
3 T cooking sherry
3 3/4 C vegetable stock (I like Penzey's soup base)
3/4 C heavy cream
salt and pepper

In a large soup pot melt the butter and saute the onions and garlic about 5 minutes.

Add the mushrooms and cook on med-low covered about 10-15 minutes more.

Add broth and sherry, boil, and lower temp, then simmer about 15 minutes.

Puree mixture. I used an immersion blender and had a "chunky" texture that I enjoyed, but you could do more or less depending on your desired consistency.

Add salt, pepper, and cream. Stir and serve.

My cookbooks recipe served it with a goat's cheese crostini topped with a single stuffed mushroom and some fresh herbs. This looked and sounded fantastic, but since I made and ate the soup in my PJ's, the pomp and circumstance was unnecessary...maybe for a dinner party?

A quarter of this recipe has about 245 calories, 17 grams of fat, and 12 carbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment