Monday, July 19, 2010

What is a Housewife?

If I were giving a wedding toast, I might start with these overworked words, "Webster's Dictionary defines a housewife as...", but I'm not giving a toast. Truthfully...I'm a little curious as to the exact definition because although I consider myself a housewife, I'm probably not. I do work: roughly 18 hours outside of the home, 7 inside of the home, and I don't have any kids, but I also do a lot of "housewifey" things.

So let's see...

Wikipedia:
A housewife is a married (check) female (check) who does not work outside the home (oops).

Well, I don't like that one...let's check another.

Webster's:
A housewife is a married woman who is in charge of the house. BINGO!

I love my husband, and I appreciate how hard he works and that he brings me home a nice paycheck...but he does not do a whole lot of taking charge of the house. He takes charge of the garage (meaning I'm not welcome in it), which is fine because that also means he's in charge of the lawn mower (which I refuse to use). So he gets the garage and the lawn and I'll take the rest.

That's what this blog is about: The Rest.

I like to shop and cook, and because I'm dying to be debt free these previous two interests have led to me involving myself in couponing and freezer cooking (sort of like OAMC but not so serious). I'm a sort-of new homeowner, so I also dabble in artsy decorating projects and do a heck of a lot of cleaning. I also enjoy boardgames, drinking adult beverages, yoga, trying to eat healthy, TV (especially Bravo reality shows), going to church, and music.

So stay tuned for posts about "The Rest".

No comments:

Post a Comment