Monday, July 19, 2010

Jambalaya

Well, Ingles has their Eckrich smokey breakfast links on sale BOGO for 2.48, and I had two coupons for $.55 off, so a $.69 package of sausage inspired this dinner. I also splurged and spent $5.00 on shrimp, but it felt like a deal because I had all the other ingredients in my pantry. I'm sure this would be WAY more authentic with andouille sausage and all that...but hey...I grew up in Michigan!

Photobucket

Jambalaya

2 T olive oil
1 pkg of smoked sausage (links, little smokeys, whatever) cut into bite-sized pieces if needed
2 medium onions diced finely
1 small green pepper diced

1/2 C diced carrots (supposed to be with celery but my husband won't eat it)
2 can's diced tomatoes-do not drain
1/4 C water
3 cloves of garlic
2 T Zatarains Cajun Seasoning (use more or less to adjust the hotness)
3/4 C white rice
1/2 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
Optional: Fresh Parsley

-Heat a large pot and brown sausages in the olive oil for a few minutes. Remove and set aside.
-Add rice and spice to the oil in the pan and saute a few minutes to give it some color. Then add veggies and water, cover, and simmer on low about 20 minutes. You can occasionally shake the pan to help keep it from sticking.
-After 20 minutes, stir well and add the sausage and shrimp into the rice mixture. Cover and simmer on low heat about five more minutes. Hit with the minced parsley at this point if you've got it and enjoy.



I entered this recipe into my livestrong dailyplate "create a meal" and this is the info I got(although I did save out two of the breakfast links for my husbands breakfast tomorrow...so this is for 10 sausage links). I took 1/4 of the pot and for about 440 calories...I was stuffed and satisfied!

This is for THE WHOLE POT: you can do your own math depending on how much you eat.

Calories: 1768
Fat: 93
Carbs: 184
Fiber: 15
Protein: 59

No comments:

Post a Comment