Saturday, August 14, 2010

Sliders and stuffed figs

I impressed the heck out of myself yesterday! I spent Thursday canning 16 lbs of tomatoes...I made a delicious tomato jam. After everything had been canned, I had about 1/2 C left and I was DYING to use it on something.

So I bought some hard dinner rolls, pulled some hamburger out of the freezer, and made sliders for dinner. My husband was excited because it a) was something different and b) made him feel like he was at the bar even though we weren't!

So I combined about 3/4 lb of hamburger with about 2 T dill relish, shaped into patties, and grilled on the George Foreman. I toasted the split buns on the stove with some butter. To put them together, I topped the patties with a huge dollop of tomato jam.

On the side, I made some fresh figs, stuffed with feta cheese and wrapped in bacon. OMG! So good. Basically, you can wrap anything in bacon and it will be awesome, but take my word for it...you have to try it.

I recently discovered fresh figs, and bought these on a whim. I just halved 6 medium sized figs, and stuffed them with about 1/2-1 t feta cheese. Then I wrapped them in a half of a piece of bacon and secured with a toothpick.

I baked them in a 375 degree oven for about 1/2 hour and they were perfect.

I was concerned that the cheese would run a bit, but they were beautiful. Only one fig half sort of shimmies out of the bacon, and that was because of poor toothpick placement on my part!

Photobucket

So if you have an abundance of fresh figs and tomato jam like I did yesterday...now you know what to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment