Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Making Eggrolls is Easy!

I'm writing here today to encourage you to try making your own eggrolls.  I used to be intimidated by anything I had to deep fry until I met my husband, whose Mexican roots quickly had me frying tortillas!

I whipped up a batch of these eggrolls on Friday and "fried to order" until today (4 days later) when I cooked up the last two.  I imagine you could cook them all at once, but I prefer freshly fried.  If your filling has been sitting around, you may want to drain some of the liquid out of it.  You don't want liquid in the filling or it makes the eggroll soggy.

Vegetable Filling
  • 1.5 C shredded zucchini
  • 1.5 C shredded carrots
  • .5 C finely diced mushrooms
  • 1 C finely diced onions
  • .5 C shredded cabbage
  • .5 C chopped peanuts
  • 3 T soy sauce
  • .5 t sugar
  • eggroll wrappers (sold in produce section)
Mix everything but the wrappers and let sit at least a few minutes and up to 4-5 days.
I have substituted many of the veggies in this recipe, depending on what I have in the fridge.  As long as you stick to the ration of veggies to other ingredients, it doesn't really matter.  Try adding peppers, sprouts, baby corn, or meat/shrimp.  You could also sustitute or leave out the nuts, I happen to like them with peanuts!

While your oil is heating (I use a small pan and fill about 1 inch with oil), assemble the rolls.  Start by laying a wrapper with a corner facing you and place a few spoonfulls of the filling on it.
Photobucket
Then fold that corner up and the sides in so it looks like a purse.
Photobucket
Then, trying to get out as much air as possible, roll up the rest of the way.
Photobucket
Fry in hot oil about 1-2 minutes per side. The time may differ depending on the heat of your oil. You know the oil is ready when you put a little something in it (I use a carrot from the filling) and it bubbles gently. If it's not hot enough, it may end up greasy and if it's too hot, it may burn. Don't be afraid to expiriment, it's not rocket science!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Don't forget to flip them!

And serve with a side of sweet and sour sauce. I use the kind out of the jar, but you can make your own, too.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment