Monday, July 25, 2011

Make your own dishwashing detergent

I have read posts about making your own soap for awhile, and I was curious but sceptical!  I wanted to do it to save money, but I was afraid it wouldn't work right. I was unsure of how to find the unfamiliar ingredient: Borax.



As it turns out, Borax is in the soap aisle, right by the laundry soap.  Mine was in a cardboard box (the size of a cereal box) on the top shelf and cost a little under $5.00.  The other ingredients (baking soda and lemon kool aid packets) were easy to find for CHEAP.

This couldn't have been easier to make, and after the initial cost of the Borax, I've made 2 batches and have enough left to make at least 2 more.  The soda is cheap and the lemonade packets are $.15 at my store.

This is the recipe I used.  1 Cup borax, 1 C baking soda, 4 packets of unsweetened lemonade.  I store it in a big Zip Loc bag under the sink.  I haven't had any problems with residue or specks left on my dishes, but if you check out the link, it does have some suggestions if you have these kinds of problems.  I think it has to do with what kind of water you have.

So go ahead and give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment