Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday Food Waste

I've been inspired by The Frugal Girl to participate in her Friday food waste movement. What a neat idea to be held accountable for the food we throw away. So this week, I kept track of the food that I tossed.
Photobucket

That's what I get for bragging!  Last week, I blogged about 3 mushrooms, and that was it.  Then today I actually cleaned the fridge and found quite a few things that should have been tossed last week!  Oh well. 

1) Pozole (pork and hominy soup) I pulled from the freezer and promptly forgot about.

2)Yogurt-I bought a ton of this when it was almost free, and although we ate about 7 packages, the last one was just too much.

3)Buttercream Frosting-I made a bunch of pumpkin cookies for a bake sale and had this left over.  I was going to make a cake or something, but it's just 2 of us and we would have eaten it all.  I'd rather it go in the trash than on my hips!

4)1/2 roll phyllo dough-this kills me, but I just didn't get to my second batch or phyllo rolls in time and this dough is not good when not fresh

5) tiny bit of porkchops/mashed potatoes-WAY OLD!  Gross.

6)1 T cream cheese

7) 1 T blue cheese

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes we all have 'those weeks.' I wouldn't let it bother you since it is not the norm. And I agree with your philosophy on the frosting. Sometimes food waste is a necessary evil, especially if eating the food waste would be bad for your health!

    ReplyDelete