Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Food Waste

I've been inspired by The Frugal Girl to participate in her Friday food waste movement. What a neat idea to be held accountable for the food we throw away. So this week, I kept track of the food that I tossed.

Photobucket

First off is about a cup of shredded chicken (taco flavored) mixed with Cuban black beans. My husband and I ate a ton of this, but it seemed to multiply. I only used 2 chicken breasts and one cup of black beans to start with. I'm throwing it away because I'm sick of looking at it, and after being 5 days old I won't eat it anymore.

Also a mixture of chopped pickles and onions. My husband makes this up anytime he grills sausage and always makes a ton. I teased him last weekend that I always end up throwing some away, but he insisted on making enough for 5 people, even though only 1 eats it.

And last is about 1/3 C of tatziki sauce. I thought I was going to make falafel again for dinner and we would have used this up, but I made other plans and now the cucumber in it is too watery.

Not too bad this week, I ended up throwing about 1 1/2 Cups of food away.

1 comment:

  1. That really is not very much waste!

    I usually make too much chicken and beans for tacos. I immediately divide it and freeze half. It keeps well in the frezer and then I have an almost premade meal to use on a night when I am too busy to cook.

    ReplyDelete