Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Homemade Blackberry Cordial

Photobucket

I still have 3 weeks to go until I can taste my creation, but as the weeks pass, I become more and more excited.  Toward the end of August, when the blackberries were coming to an end, I decided to do some "preserving".  By following this recipe I made some delicious looking cordial.

I started by filling 2 quart jars with 1 Cup of sugar each.  Then stuffed them full of clean fresh blackberries and filled with (pretty cheap) vodka until the berries were covered.  Then you just shake gently to mix and let stand for 6 weeks.  The first few weeks the sugar was collecting on the bottom but by week 2  it was completely mixed.  Now I just remember to mix gently once a weekend.

By mid-October, I'll be having a nice cocktail, and I'm also looking forward to trying it to flavor iced-tea like the recipe suggests.  If I end up pregnant this will also make a nice Christmas present, if not, then it probably won't make it until Christmas!!

(Also notice the jars of marinara on the right...they're delicious and I'll be opening a jar this weekend to make my eggplant parm.)

No comments:

Post a Comment