Thursday, September 23, 2010

What's for dinner?

Photobucket

I got a great deal on some beef at Bi Lo this week.  For $7.00 I got 4.5 pounds of beef.  One roast, one package of stew meat, and one steak looking thing that I didn't know what it was and cup into stew chunks!

So the 2.5 pounds of chunks went into the freezer (I'm thinking beef/barley soup and either stew or beef stroganoff) and the roast went into the crock pot.  I love how a small roast can provide our little family of 2 so many options.  One day, we'll eat it with a potato and a veggie as a roast beef meal.  Then We'll put it on a bun with chips and the broth and have a French Dip.  It can also go into tacos, enchiladas, omelette's, or a quick soup.  We eat on $4 roast for days and never have leftovers!

This roast I just threw in the crock pot with onions, beef broth, and a little Lipton's onion soup mix.  It'll be ready to go in 8-10 hours.  If I had mushrooms, I'd put those in there too, but we're out.

Photobucket
(I ended up buying some portabellas the next day, sauted them in Pam and then simmered in the juice)

This does change my menu plan a bit, but I can't ever stick to it at the end of the week anyway.  So here's the changes:  Thursday: french dips, Friday: Steakhouse omelet with feta rolls and a small salad, Saturday: beef tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment