Friday, September 24, 2010

Friday Food Waste

I've been inspired by The Frugal Girl to participate in her Friday food waste movement. What a neat idea to be held accountable for the food we throw away. So this week, I kept track of the food that I tossed.
Photobucket

Not a great week for veggies in our house...and I"m not really sure why.  The quarter of an avocado and the few Tablespoons of fresh salsa were left over from a chicken southwest salad I made at least 10 days ago.  I thought hubby used it all when he made his salad but I guess not! Also, some basil from the garden in the baggie...too gross to show!  Then there is about 2 servings of green beans that I ignored and about 1/4 Cup of shredded carrots.  Other than that are 2 pieces of pesto/sun dried tomato/chicken pizza.  It's great fresh out of the oven, but the leftovers lack...so no surprise 2 pieces went by the wayside.

I vow to respect my veggies better next week!  Maybe a soup or rice mixed with all leftover veggies next Thursday...  I do have a large head of cabbage that I have NO idea what to do with.  I guess I could make Cole slaw but would love some other ideas or good slaw recipes (I hate fried cabbage, though).

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

2 comments:

  1. I read that too and I've really trying to be better about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. probably too late for the cabbage today, but the classic weight watchers zero point soup uses cabbage. Makes it very filling and yummy. It is my hubby's fav soup that I make.

    ReplyDelete