Friday, October 8, 2010

Friday Food Waste

I've been inspired by The Frugal Girl to participate in her Friday food waste movement. What a neat idea to be held accountable for the food we throw away. So this week, I kept track of the food that I tossed.

Before I share with you what I tossed this week, I'd like to share with you what I saved!  I used 1/4 of a carton of whipping cream (left over from the fondue), 1/6 bottle of white wine (practically unbelievable that I left a glass sitting there), the end of an onion and my last clove of garlic to make an unbelievable yummy sauce.  I also put chicken stock, mushrooms and butter in it.  All of that sort of looked like food waste, but it took a plain piece of chicken, mashed potatoes and a can of corn and made it feel gourmet!

 Now for the embarrassment...don't judge!!!
Photobucket
I cleaned out the fridge door and tossed a lot.  Now I only do this about once every 6 months and I'm not really cool with using things after the expiration date, so it is a large waste week.

From left to right:  a little bit of a yogurt smoothie, canned peaches, yeast (I replace every fall so my holiday breads are freshest), egg whites, ready whip, maraschino cherries, a tiny bit of pineapple juice, a little bit of veggie soup base, sour cream, pizza sauce, yogurt, peach jam, dressing and spray butter.

Most of this stuff was at least 3/4 gone, but not all.  All excuses aside, I vow to keep working on my habits and to reduce my waste.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so much more aware of my waste now that I take part in the Friday Food Waste post! It's a good thing to be aware of, but sometimes I'd rather crawl under a rock than admit how much I threw away! We've all been there. No judging!

    ReplyDelete