Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday Food Waste

I've been inspired by The Frugal Girl to participate in her Friday food waste movement. What a neat idea to be held accountable for the food we throw away. So this week, I kept track of the food that I tossed.

Photobucket


It started with two bags of Spatz's garlic toast...which kills me.  We currently live 12 hours South of the little local bakery in Michigan that produces these culinary miracles (okay, I may be exaggerating a little, but they're really good). I love them with cheddar cheese spread, but I especially love them in French onion soup.  So when I stocked up this summer, I put them in the freezer like I usually do.  But this time they got REALLY freezer burned and tasted terrible.  I guess I wasn't in the mood for French Onion Soup when it was over 100 degrees this summer. 

On the plus side, I did find that Texas Toast will do in a pinch to float in your soup.  It was pretty tasty.

The rest of our food waste was one lonely tamale.  It was part of a combination platter at a Mexican restaurant we tried.  It must have been freezer burn week, because that's what this tamale tasted like.  I hated it, my husband hated it, so we tossed it.

Not a bad week as far as food waste goes...

2 comments:

  1. I am lucky - I have two large dogs and they help me with any bread waste. They don't care how stale it is... they think it is the best doggy treat ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids are also handy for using up freezer burnt food. If I toast freezer burnt bread and top it with cinnamon and sugar, they never even notice.

    Of course, that's no good with garlic bread! lol

    ReplyDelete